Welcome from Our Pastor, Brother Mike Shelton
Thank you for your interest in Bellevue Baptist Church, a wonderful group of people committed to the cause of Jesus Christ–sharing His life-changing message and ministering to those in need. You will find that we offer a wide range of ministry opportunities for people of all ages.
If you are not a Christian and would like to know more about how to become one, please call upon us. We would be delighted to tell you how trusting in Jesus Christ can bring comfort to your life now and ensure you a place in heaven. The Bible says, “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” (Rom. 10:13, HCSB)
If you are already a Christian and you find yourself needing a good church home, we ask that you consider joining Bellevue Baptist Church. Become a vital participant in what God is doing through our church family to reach this community and the world for Christ.
Bellevue Baptist Church is affiliated with, and ministers in cooperation with, the Southern Baptist Convention.
We hope this website about our church will answer some of the questions you may have about us. If you have more questions about Bellevue Baptist Church, please call us at (615) 646-2711, or click here for additional ways to contact us.
With Christ’s Love,
Bellevue Baptist Church History
On January 15, 1964, the Long Range Planning and Survey Committee of Immanuel Baptist Church suggested the idea of sponsoring a chapel in the growing Bellevue community. Two years later, on February 16, 1966, the church purchased a five-acre lot on US Highway 70 South. On November 5, 1967, the Bellevue Chapel held its first service of worship in the home of Mr. and Mrs. O. H. Bollinger, with thirty-eight persons attending. The Reverend Mr. Earl Waldrup provided pastoral leadership on a volunteer basis.
With increasing attendance, chapel services were moved to the Bellevue Elementary School on January 26, 1969. Under the leadership of Bellevue Chapel’s first full-time pastor, the Reverend Dr. Geral Simmons, ground-breaking ceremonies on the first phase of the building were held November 21, 1971, and services began in the building on July 2, 1972. Chapel membership was one hundred twenty-six, with forty-seven added during the next four months. On November 5, 1972, Bellevue Baptist Church was constituted as a church.
The church continued to grow throughout the remainder of the century:
- On January 25, 1985, the church sponsored a new work, Hope Baptist Mission, which met in the Vanderbilt area. This mission was constituted as a church on January 17, 1988.
- In January, 1991, the church started hosting the Room-in-the-Inn ministry, in cooperation with the Bellevue Presbyterian Church. This weekly program provides transportation, food and shelter for approximately on dozen homeless men during the winter months.
- On June 1, 1996, our current Pastor, Dr. Mike Shelton, was called to Bellevue Baptist Church.
- In June 2000, the church moved into its current sanctuary. Attendance has since doubled.
- In June 2012, Bellevue Baptist Church broke ground on additional building space, to accommodate the growth in Sunday School attendance, and to provide additional